LEVELS OF TEAMS
There are five (5) age groups of travel lacrosse for boys offered at Sandy Spring. The age criteria are established by US Lacrosse for the upcoming 2018 season. It is the player’s age as of August 31, 2017. Players may play UP an age group but not DOWN:
- U-15 No older than 14 (as of 8-31). AGE qualified 9th graders may play U-15 during the spring 2018 season.
- U-13 No older than 12 (as of 8-31)
- U-11 No older than 10 (as of 8-31)
- U-9 No older than 8 (as of 8-31)
- U-7 No older than 6 (as of 8-31)
Tryouts and Grading
If more than one team is formed in the Tyker, Lightning, Midget or Junior age groups, Sandy Spring coaches will grade and place players on teams based on skill. Our goal first and foremost is to place boys on teams where they will have the best experience, learn the most and have optimal playing time.
PLAYER EQUIPMENT (Age 7-14)
All players must provide their own equipment.
- BOYS (age 7-14) must have: lacrosse stick, lacrosse helmet, mouth guard, lacrosse gloves, lacrosse shoulder pads, lacrosse arm pads and an athletic cup.
- BOY GOALIES (age 7-14) – Helmet with throat protector, chest protector, goalie gloves, arm protection, (optional) goalie stick. Each boys team will have one (1) complete set of goalie equipment.
TEAM STRUCTURE (Age 9-14)
Depending on the number and skill level of players registered and the number of coaches available for the season, teams will be formed as follows:
- BOYS (age 9-14) – A, B and C levels
TEAM SIZE (Age 7-14)
The number of players on each team will be between 18-20 players (plus or minus at the coach’s discretion). Age 7-8 will have 12-15 players per team.
TEAM PRACTICES (Age 7-14)
FIELDS, DURATION, LOCATIONS – Practices will be held on fields in the greater Olney area 2-3 days a week for 1-1.5 hours and will begin in early March. In the past we have used Southeast Olney Park, Cherrywood, Belmont ES, Brooke Grove ES and Manor Oaks Park.
PRACTICE DAYS & TIMES – Weekday practices generally will be Monday-Friday between the hours of 4:00pm-8:00pm. Coaches may be scheduling weekend practices also. Practices after 6:00 will occur on lighted fields and other permitted fields after Daylight Savings Time.
GAMES (Age 9-14)
NUMBER OF GAMES – Weather permitting we will be scheduled for and play a ten (10) game season for the U11-U15 levels. The U9 boys play a seven (7) game season and typically an end of season three (3) game tournament.
HOME GAME FIELDS – Home games will be played at Cherrywood Park or Brooke Grove ES.
HOME & AWAY GAMES – Approximately five (5) of the games will be Home games and the other five (5) other games will be away at various sites throughout the greater Baltimore metropolitan area. At least three (3) of these games (Home & Away) will be scheduled during the weekdays starting in late April.
GAME TIMES – Range from 6:00pm-8:00pm on weekday evenings, 9:00 am-5:00 pm on Saturdays (U9-U13), and 1:00pm-5:00pm on Sundays (U15). Games are approximately one-hour long.